Saturday, March 01, 2014

Saturday, March 01, 2014

I'm did a DIY tour of Batac and Paoay yesterday, today, I jumped on a tricycle for the bus terminal along Lagasca Street in Laoag, buses here are non-aircon, I should have gone to the Partas bus terminal for their airconditioned bus but I felt like penny-pinching. Not really, I just want to try the non-airconditioned bus, besides, Partas terminal is a bit far. Believe me.

Unfortunately, just a little after less than 2 hours during the trip, I was the only passenger left on the bus, it stopped at a busy town and I was requested to get off, the next bus is coming in a few minutes anyway, that's what the conductor said, he gave me back half of my fare and I've waited for 5 minutes.  Took the coming bus finally to Vigan.  Passengers were dropped off exactly at the Plaza Salcedo near the capitol building and dragging my luggage, I just walked from there to my hotel (Vigan Hotel) located at the back street of St. Paul Cathedral. 

St. Paul Cathedral at night.
Plaza Burgos.
Plaza Salcedo
Since I arrived in Vigan early noon, I did not waste time, bolted to St. Paul Cathedral and its surrounds – Plaza Salcedo, Plaza Burgos, and the famous Calle Crisologo with its beautiful old Spanish houses and cobble-stone street.  At 7:35pm there is a colourful dancing musical fountain show at Plaza Salcedo, I was surprised to see this in Vigan, and it’s free, a really nice project from Vigan’s government, brought to you by no less than the Man himself – the Hon. Chavit Singson.  The last time I saw one was in Barcelona – the Magic Fountain of Montjuic – which is almost similar but a bit bigger as I recall.


Musical Fountain of Vigan
Brief Info:
Vigan is the capital of the Province of Ilocos Sur.  It is a World Heritage Site in that it is one of the few Hispanic towns left in the Philippines where its structures remained intact, and is well known for its cobblestone streets, and a unique architecture that fuses Philippine and Oriental building designs and construction, with colonial European architecture. [Wikipedia]
Expenses:
Transports
Tricycle from my hotel in Laoag to Lagasca bus terminal 
Non-aircon bus from Laoag - Vigan
15
100
Hotel
Vigan Hotel – (Php395 / night) located at the back of the cathedral and less than a minute walk to Calle Crisologo, Plaza Salecedo and Burgos and a leisure walk to most sights in Vigan.  Economy room, non-aircon, shared bath, very simple with TV.
Address: 
Telephone: +63 (77) 722.19.06
Mob.: +63 9155498753
E-mail: jr_ovillanueva@yahoo.com
395

How to get there: 
Vigan is a city in Ilocos Sur, and a prime tourist destination.  You can take a bus (Partas is one, Dominion Bus Lines, Viron Transit, and St. Joseph) from Manila, around 7 hours travel time.
From Laoag City, I would recommend taking the airconditioned Partas bus, shorter travel time of around 2 hours.  Otherwise, if you’re on a budget, you can take the non-airconditioned buses at the bus terminal in Lagasca Street, pay 100 pesos, travel time is about 3 hours.  Warning – they’re unreliable, read my story above.
Plaza Salcedo, Plaza Burgos, St. Paul Cathedral and Calle Crisologo are within short walking distance from each other right at the heritage village.

Coming up next - Vigan attractions.


0 comments:

Post a Comment