Saturday, April 19, 2014

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Before heading to Sagada, I don’t really have any idea how the municipality look like.  Most photographs on the internet are shots of the tourist attractions in the area such as the falls, caves, valleys, etc.  Not much about the municipality itself.
While I was in Banaue, I was chatting with Manang Mildred – the owner of my accommodation there – who’s giving me bleak description of the place.  I was asking her due to my hesitation in going there. I have my roller luggage with me and the picture appearing on my mind’s eye is a mountainous place, rugged terrain, no pave roads or streets, and I picture that I’ll look awkward dragging my luggage around the place when everyone else have their huge backpacks on.  I have a good sturdy backpack but I forgot to bring it.  I started my trip in Laoag and I never thought of passing by Banaue or Sagada, not in the plan really.
Anyhoo, I sprang to Sagada and really glad I did.  Although, I seldom see travelers with roller luggage, it’s never a hassle for me, in fact, it’s a comfort since I don’t need to carry heavy loads on my, lately, aching back.
Now, to give an idea to people who are planning to come to Sagada (and/or to come with their roller or wheeled luggage), here’s how the tranquil town of Sagada look like.  Continue scrolling down...







So, don’t worry if you don’t have a backpack or you prefer a wheeled luggage or you’re simply a flashpacker, you’ll fit in with those nice bags rolling along the paved streets of Sagada. So come and experience the place.

Brief Info:
Sagada is famous for its hanging coffins. This is a traditional way of burying people that is still utilized. Not everyone is qualified to be buried this way; among other things, one had to have been married and had grandchildren.  Popular activities include trekking, exploring both caves and waterfalls, spelunking, bonfires, picnics, rappelling, visiting historical sites, nature hikes, and participating in tribal celebrations. Guides can be found upon registration at the tourist-office in Sagada Proper (the main town) for a small fee. [Wikipedia]
Expenses:
Transports
Jeepney from Banaue public market to Sagada
250
Hotel
Mob. (63) 920 8135797
250/night

How to get there:
From Manila via Baguio – Victory Liner from their terminals in Pasay, Cubao and Caloocan runs to Baguio several times a day.  Then from Baguio to Sagada, take the Lizardo Trans from Dangwa Bus Terminal.
From Baguio to Sagada – GL  Lizardo specializes on this route direct at P220, travel time is 5.5 to 6 hours.  Bus terminal in Baguio is a Dangwa along Magsaysay Ave., while in Sagada it’s beside the St. Theodore Hospital and the Church of St. Mary the Virgin.
From Manila via Banaue – Ohayami Trans have one direct trip to Banaue from their terminal at Cor. J. Fajardo St., Lacson Ave, Sampaloc, Manila.  To reserve in advance, call or send a text message to  09276493055 and  02-5160501. 
From Banaue to Sagada - there is a direct jeepney early in the morning (around 9:00am) from the public market in Banaue center (P250 – 300) which I don’t recommend (read my story above).  Instead, take the jeepneys going to Bontoc (P150), it will stop exactly at the jeepney terminal going to Sagada (P45), cheaper than the direct jeepneys. 
From Manila via Bontoc – Cable Tours (P600) has a direct trip to Bontoc at 8:30pm at their terminal at the Trinity Univ. of Asia, E. Rodriguez Ave. Cubao, Quezon City. Tel. (02) 2573582 (QC) Mob. 0918 5216790 (Bontoc).
From Bontoc to Sagada – the jeepney terminal is found beside the Walter Clapp Centrum building (P45).
Ride top load – on top of the jeepney – and experience an exhilarating ride along stunning mountain views and rice terraces.  Most foreign tourists prefer the top load ride than sitting inside the stuffy jeepney.  A.Y.O.R. of course.

Tip:  Most of the jeepneys from Banaue public market bound for Sagada or Bontoc may stop for a couple of  minutes at the Bayyo rice terraces viewpoint or even the Banaue rice terraces viewpoint, if requested.

Up next -  "Breaking-off with Sagada"

0 comments:

Post a Comment